Tuesday, October 23, 2007

SLEEPING AND EATING - NOW THAT'S GREAT RESEARCH

I LOVE the New York Times, I'm a big fan of their Fashion and Style coverage.
But it was never the place I went to for health information.
As a chiropractor, I always thought "Where are the articles about how we function, and knowing that, how to be well?"
Whoa, is that changing.
The NYT has so many great articles that explore wellness this week I thought I was reading something else. I hope their new curiosity continues!

A transformation is underway in how scientists view sleep, and here are two articles I happily recommend:

1) "The Elderly Always Sleep Worse, and Other Myths of Aging"
Fascinating! How people sleep during different lifecyles, and what factors can alter a good night's sleep.....I think that readers will be surprised by the results.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/health/23age.html?ref=health

2) "An Active, Purposeful Machine that Comes Out at Night to Play"
A new look at why people need sleep, and the emerging understanding of how sleeps relates to learning and memory storing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/23/health/23memo.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin

And from the new "WELL" blog: "5 Easy Ways to Go Organic."
This article reads a bit like an advertisement for "Raising Baby Green," a book by pediatrician Dr. Alan Green, but the info is helpful. Even better are the comments, including the parent who did a "taste test" on broccoli, organic vs. commercial, and based on her 7 year old's choice, organic is better than commerical.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/five-easy-ways-to-go-organic/

Sleeping and eating, now that's great research!

Be Spine Tingling,
Dr. Madeline Behrendt
iwomenfilm@gmail.com
For information and education only.