Tuesday, May 08, 2007

CHA CHA YOUR BRAIN CELLS

Here's some research that'll put more fun in your life:

Dancing is good for the brain.

A 2003 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that ballroom dancing at least twice a week made people less likely to develop dementia.
Plus AARP reports that "exercise increases the level of brain chemicals that encourage nerve cells to grow. And dancing that requires you to remember dance steps and sequences boosts brain power by improving memory skills."

Below is a link to the specifics of the study, including age ranges and activities......as well as the AARP report.

But you don't need to be a senior to enjoy the benefits of dancing - --- you can start at any age and get an awesome workout.

After reading the study I tried out a Bodyjam class at my gym.
Did I feel smarter after taking the class?
Not exactly.
After all this was my first class.
I was just trying to move both my arms and legs at the same time without hitting anyone nearby.

What did I feel after my first class?
I LOVED it. Dancing is fun. Dancing is social. Dancing is a sweaty, heart-pumping workout. Dancing has opened up a whole new adventure in my life.

Dancing doesn't just work the brain - there is a dance style to tone your body into whatever level of fitness you are seeking. Dance Fitness is now an Olympic event!

And there is shopping. Fun shopping. Dance fitness is a big workout movement and there are plenty of clothes to inspire dancers of every level.

Here's some of my favorite links to learn dance moves at home:
www.lesmills.com/westcoast/en/members/bodyjam/learn-the-moves.aspx
www.nike.com/nikewomen/us/index.jhtml?sitesrc=uslanding#home,workout
The Nike site includes dance fitness clothes (for everyone who treats shopping as a cardio event) as well as a workout, dance personality quiz, and more.

And the New England Journal of Medicine and AARP links:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/348/25/2508
http://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/get_motivated/lets_dance_to_health.html

So Cha Cha your brain (and the rest of you)......it's so much fun!!!

Be Spinetingling,
Dr. Madeline Behrendt
drmadelinecare200@hotmail.com