Saturday, June 23, 2007

OH OH OH OREGANO

The Mediterranean is one of my favorite places to visit, it is a region that knows how to eat, style, and live.

If you want what they're having, then you'll be buying plenty of one of their best-kept secrets: Oregano.

In the U.S., Oregano doesn't get the props it's sexy cousin Basil does, but this herb packs plenty of appeal and power.

In my remedy cabinet, I keep a bottle of oil of oregano, as do many who love it's apparent effectiveness as an antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic.
Phenols, the active component, are found in higher concentrations in the oil than in the plant's leaves and stems, and people take the oil drops, or oil capsules for health benefits.
I use it during the only times of the year I get symptomatic - the start of air conditioning, and the start of artificial heat --- both are tough on me.

In my kitchen, I love using oregano in meals and I'm sharing a new favorite receipe that is sooooo good I've been making it every week. Enjoy!


Roasted Greek Potates with Oregano, Lemon and Onion
(enough for 4-6 people, depending on level of self-restraint)

-2 pounds large unpeeled russet potatoes, cut in quarters
-2 T good quality extra-virgin olive oil
-2 t dried oregano
-2 large cloves garlic, chopped
-salt, preferably coarse
-freshly ground black pepper, to taste
-1/2 c low-sodium vegetable broth
-1/2 c water, more may be added if necessary
-juice of 1 lemon
- 2 onions (my preference is red) chopped

--Oven should be heated to 450 degrees.
--Lightly oil a large shallow baking dish (potatoes are in one layer only).
--Add the potatoes and onions and drizzle with oil.
--Sprinkle with oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss again.

--Combine liquids (broth, , 1/2 c water, and lemon juice) in a bowl.
--Pour over the potato and onion mixture.
--Roast, uncovered, till golden (about 50 minutes to 1 hour).
--Turn the potatoes and onions while roasting to ensure golden color all around.
--Add water as needed to the mixture.

This delicious dish is inspired by my FAVORITE cookbook for summer vegetables, soups, pasta/grains, and breads: The Mediteranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein. I recommend everyone add this Mediteranean kitchen to their kitchen.

The author suggests serving potato dishes with sandwiches.
I eat it with anything and everything (even breakfast).

Roasted potatoes and onions with lemon and oregano - so good, and so good for me. Yummm!

Be Spine Tingling,
Dr. Madeline Behrendt
iwomenfilm@gmail.com
For eductational and informational purposes only.
For some more information on oregano's health benefits, visit:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_2002_March/ai_83027912/print