Friday, June 29, 2007

I DON'T DO DIRTY. DR. MADELINE SHOPS AT THE FARMER'S MARKET

I love shopping at the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings.
The flowers, the kids, the samples....
And of course, the food.

My market sells local foods only, with plenty of organic and pesticide-free produce to choose from. Organic is what I buy when I have that choice.

But I don't always have access to organic.
For those times, I whip out the "no-shopping" list I keep in my wallet.
This names the conventional fruits and vegetables that have the highest amounts of pesticide residue. I don't do dirty, so these are foods I choose to avoid.

Following are what's called "The Dirty Dozen":

Fruits
1) apples
2) cherries
3) grapes (imported)
4) nectarines
5) peaches
6) pears
7) strawberries

Vegetables
1) celery
2) lettuce
3) potatoes
4) sweet bell peppers
5) spinach

Luckily I have other choices - I would even buy frozen organic fruits and vegetables in a pinch.

So I'll stick to enjoying the "Dirty Dozen" on film, and pass on the food.

Be Spine Tingling,
Dr. Madeline Behrendt
iwomenfilm@gmail.com
For information and education only.
Additional information available from the Environmental Working Group.